What's this Blog about?

This blog is a diary of the preparation for my trip to race in Belgium this year and daily entry of the trip itself. Leave a comment or question.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Crashed out!

Not much I can say about today's race, crashed on the second lap of 5.

Ironically it was the safest, least technical race circuit that I have ridden this trip, perfectly marshalled, good road surfaces, one stretch of 500m category 1 cobbles just coming onto the home straight which was about 500m dead straight nice and wide, beautiful tarmac surface, we were in Holland after all. Topped off with only one of the guys I would recognise as a sprinter being there and I started the race thinking in a straight line I was faster. What was also in my favour was the fact that there were 'premies' for the first three places each lap, which in my experience tends to neutralise the race by the non sprinters attacking for the lap prizes cos they know they are not fastest in the finish, whereas the sprinters tend to keep their powder dry for the 'big' sprint. My plan was not to get involved, do just enough, give the sprint a big crack!

I was right about the outcome, my sprint pick cracked the win in a bunch finish, double bugger.

Anyway there was one straight which was cross wind, we were in the right hand gutter, me minding my own business, then we were braking hard, turning left, two guys going down, I had nowhere to go tried to make the grass verge, came up short. Given there is no stuctural damage I am pretty sure that I held onto the bars right through, took it hip, elbow, back? and helmet. The helmet's smashed and I knew I wasn't right while I was on the ground, so stayed there, everybody else remounted. To be honest if I hadn't hit my head I would have as well.

I can't say enough about the race organisation with a medico on the spot, finding somebody in the race caravan that spoke English, then getting taken to the first aid tent, bit of luck there as well, there was an old chap with a suspected heart attack in there and they had proper ambo's on the spot. One of then checked me over rather than leaving me to the volunteers. I am pleased to report that we still use the brush to clean out road rash wounds, I really enjoyed that! So I know have a good collection of what we used to call 'Patrick Sercu' bandages. The VWF officials where fantastic, each of them that speaks English came into the first aid area to check on me and knowing that I am on my own enquiring if I wanted somebody to drive me home, can't say enough about how good they are.

So ankle, knee, big cherry on the hip, back, elbow and hand on the right side. I think that I got rammed by one or two riders while I was down, had the tyre marks on my right calf and back. Consequently my right calf is very sore and my hip/groin is very difficult to walk, my hand being chopped up is inconvenient to say the least.

I'm hoping that when I try my bike tomorrow that it will be easier riding than walking, assuming that I can get out of bed! I can race tomorrow or Monday, hopefully I will be up for one of those.

My bike has minor cosmetic damage, I think, I will check it properly tomorrow. Some Nurofen tonight I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment