What's this Blog about?

This blog is a diary of the preparation for my trip to race in Belgium this year and daily entry of the trip itself. Leave a comment or question.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Recovery Day

What a beautiful day, 28c, sunny, light breezes, perfect for a cruise along the Scheldte bike path watching the big canal boats and enjoying the sun.

I'm into the swing of riding on Belgian roads now, as long as they see you 99.99% of motorists are going to give way when the should, theres always going to be one idiot and the trick is to try and ensure that they see you. The bigger danger is the elderly ladies on their daily shopping trip either on their bikes or on foot, they can be a bit oblivious of whats going on around them. They load their bikes up with so much shopping they can be a bit wobbly as well, taking up a lot of space on the bike path. It seems to me the trick is not to surprise them and your fine.

Mind you I'm not sure I should be the one disparaging the elderly!

My legs felt pretty sluggish today to be honest but sprints on top of V02 intervals will do that to you, certainly does to me. After I backed it off right into active recovery range and got the legs spinning it was much better.

I expect my body will be in for a shock tomorrow, after all I haven't raced for a month but I think my condition is good so hopefully it will be just a matter of getting hardened by a couple of races.

I've settled into my laundry routine right from the beginning, keeping on top of it every day saves the misery of that one big day to deal with. My Sard Wonder soap works a treat as as long as the weather cooperates everything is dried out the same day.

I have about 40 minutes to travel to my race tomorrow, I can do most of it on the freeway - its easier that way even if a little longer. Slightly odd start time of 4pm as well but I assume thats so the youngest guys will get up at about 7.30pm just when the party is getting going. The crowd will probably be a bit raucus by that stage!

I haven't raced in this particular village before but its going to be flat, possibly open out in the country so wind could be a factor and if the course is winding I better get my cornering skills up to par quickly. I'm actually pretty good at all that but we get 'protected' a bit too much in Oz and I can't think of a recent race with real corners where a skillful rider could make a difference. I guess its safer that way but personally a more technical course suits me well.

The start time gives me plenty of time to get my stuff together tomorrow morning, clean and tune my bike and not get bored with the waiting. I will miss the tour stage though, no doubt I'll find a replay of at least the highlights later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment