What's this Blog about?

This blog is a diary of the preparation for my trip to race in Belgium this year and daily entry of the trip itself. Leave a comment or question.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

No race today, no ride today, no bike today

I woke up feeling rermarkable chipper this morning considering how sore I felt when I went to bed. Two glasses of Red wine and two Nurofen might have done the trick there, I slept really well, obviously my wounds haven't gone away but a lot of the soreness has, although I do have a slightly stiff neck to add to the list, that I didn't have yesterday.

The biggest issue I have was where somebody rode over my right calf while I was on the ground. When I woke feeling sort of OK, I thought today's race is pretty close, I'm going to ride. However being a little worried about the calf I changed my mind to maybe do an easy ride, if that felt OK maybe a longer steady ride and if that felt OK, I would do some serious efforts to test myself.

So I got ready, went out, about 1k down the road I realised that I could change down the cassette to the 11 but I couldn't change back. Bugger. Came back to the hotel, begged some tools to take the lever assembly apart, had a fiddle, the best I could do was get it working intermittently and even then I wasn't sure how I was achieving that!

So no race nor even a ride today, all things being equal by not racing today I was going to race on Monday, that has to be in doubt now, the bike shop opens at 9.30am, I have to persuade them to see to my bike first, hope they can fix and then drive the 45 minutes to the race which starts at 12, going to be tight. That assumes that they can and will fix it and that we don't need a spare part or something that they don't have. Three race potentially lost now. It seems my body is bouncing back quicker than my bike.

Apart from a twisted brake hood it seemed fine yesterday when I rode it back to my car. I suppose I could always buy a new bike!

I spent the afternoon watching F1 on the TV, which is pretty boring these days, I used to follow it but lost interest, I can see why now. But I spend some time on Youtube amusing my self with old clips of Eddy etc etc. I did find some clips from the VWF racing, the VWF is my preferred racing this year, it was one of their races that I crashed in but I can't blame the organisation for that. I've appended a few here of courses I have raced, although the camera work is pretty static so you don't get the idea of the circuit.

What you will see is that the races usually breakdown into a 'selection' of maybe 15/20 riders, in my races very often on lap 1 or 2, then that 'selection' keeps attacking itself to pair the group down even more sometimes into 2 or 3 groups. To date I have always made that selection so these video's are my first opportunity to really see what's going on behind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2SoqgdD8Y&feature=related

Aalst has a lot of racing in and around the town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrvkW-pffHE&feature=related

Temse is where the European Champs where this year, same course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJCkllq24E4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0DJIIrR7c&feature=related

To finish off the afternoon I've just watched Cadel, roll Gilbert and McEwen in a post tour crit sprint, yeh right! The crowd seemed to like it OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment