What's this Blog about?

This blog is a diary of the preparation for my trip to race in Belgium this year and daily entry of the trip itself. Leave a comment or question.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Training day

Today was an 'official' training day, I have decided my first race will be Wednesday, so I ran a few training drills today. Two sprint sets and I had thought to do 3 x 3 minute Vo2 intervals but changed it on the road to 4 x 2 minutes Vo2's so as to not go too deep, V02's are basically max power for the 2 minutes keeping the rpm's up to make the heart peak out at maximum as well.

I opted to do the intervals up by one of the canals by Dendermonde and the only way to get there that I am sure of is to skirt the industrial area of Aalst which isn't that nice so I thought I would try and do it 'cross country' keeping away from the city. To my surprise I managed it, unlike yesterday when I went round in circles so I was pleased with that, did my intervals then came back a different way. I must admit coming back I didn't finish up exactly where I had anticipated but I at least finished up somewhere that I knew which must be an improvement.

The sprint sets were OK but not special which was a little disappointing but the V02's were good, power was right up where I expected it and I felt like I could go higher if I had to, save that for racing.

I suspect that I might struggle in the early races because I think I am under raced this year, although I've done some good races I think my racing schedule has been to light. A deliberate decision to avoid the travel so I might pay for it in the first races, I have the power but think that the continuous peak efforts in the style of racing in Belgium will be difficult until my legs get used to it, still thats part of the challenge and I will enjoy the racing anyway.

I know I'm not going as well as the last time I was here when I wasn't out of the 'money' in any race I did (except the champs when I punctured!!!), but if the weather holds, today a very pleasant 24c, light winds, I'm going to enjoy it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment