What's this Blog about?

This blog is a diary of the preparation for my trip to race in Belgium this year and daily entry of the trip itself. Leave a comment or question.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rest and recovery days

Yesterday was very definitely a recovery day, two hard races in two days is a bit on on the old body these days. I slept so well the previous night I almost slept through breakfast! heaven forbid that a bike rider misses a meal!

A two hour recovery ride followed, just trying to keep the legs spinning over, even if the weather wasn't really cooperating, drizzly and very windy. So not being equipped with winter gear, a couple of extra vests, arm warmers and knee warmers, augmented by my 'gilet in a pouch', had to suffice. It was OK although the headwind bits weren't exactly enjoyable. I stuck to one of my trusty canal rides which on the ride were uncharacteristically deserted, who says Belgian bike riders are tough?

In the afternoon some domestic stuff, trip to the supermarket, greengrocer's and the big bike shop in Aalst where I thought since I had time (there being no Le Tour on the TV), I would have a look at the plethora of bikes they stock, I can't off the top of my head think of a brand that they don't stock. The problem was that they are in the middle of their big sale, 20% of everything, so the place was mobbed, so I got the few bits and pieces I needed and left.

Dinner and an early night worked well.

Today the weather was totally different, sunny a pleasant 22c with light breezes, perfect. An endurance ride was the order of the day, most of the time in the upper end of my endurance range, some good spells at level 4 and a couple of three minute intervals at 115% of threshold. I'm not quite recovered but felt a lot better today than I did yesterday. Spending the afternoon watching the tour flat out on the bed will have helped. Go Cadel!

I've decided not to race until Thursday, I should be nice and fresh by then I hope. From there I will try and space out the races to not overdo it but its difficult not taking advantage of all the race opportunities.

Since the upcoming races are of the hillier variety I will do some hill stuff tomorrow, endurance ride with some hill sprints, should set me up OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment